Rhyl High School’s zone for the latest revision strategies and study skills where we:
- Help learners to develop their individual learning style with revision
- Understand how their brain works when revising
- Developing skills in planning, organising and managing their time
- Develop a range of study strategies to use e.g. mnemonics, memory pegging, visualisation, mind mapping, chunking, key points bullets and flash cards
- Exam preparation, past papers and reducing exam stress
What is coaching?
Learning coaching is a new service in school which provides coaching, mentoring and support for all learners aged 14-19(Years 9- 11).
Coaching is provided to learners particularly in years 9, 10 and 11 and can take the form of 1-1 or group coaching. It is primarily to support learners going through the GCSE process and centers around developing revision strategies, understanding how the brain works to support learning, understanding and using a range of study strategies as well as developing lifelong learning skills such as planning, organising and managing your time.
Coaching can provide motivation and ideas to support and develop your future learning plans, particularly with revision and how to make a time table which is achievable, realistic and works for you. Therefore ensuring that revision sessions become interesting and interactive rather than boring and dull, resulting in revision not being done.
Where does the Coaching take place?
In block 4 Room 4:14 with Mrs. Steel
What can I expect?
An opportunity to discuss your learning with an experienced and professionally accredited Learning Coach. Plus ideas on how to improve various aspects of your learning on an individual basis.
Most sessions are by an appointment system although there are opportunities for self referral and drop in sessions.
Meet the Learning Coaches in Rhyl High School
Interventions to help our pupil’s to overcome any barriers and fully engage in the curriculum.
Courses provided under the “Potensial Programme”
- Army Courses (North Wales Training Agency)
- Strikers (Rhyl Football Club)
- Pixel (Multi-Media Informal Education and Engagement Pro0gramme)
- Fishing For Schools – Click for more information
- Mechanics Courses (Deeside and Rhyl Colleges)
- Salon Services (Deeside College)
- Construction Courses (Deeside and Rhyl Colleges)